Saturday, May 7, 2011

OBL

The government today released five videos found in Osama bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan, showing the al Qaeda leader preparing a message to the United States and watching himself on television.
The first was a previously unreleased message from bin Laden directed to the United States that was believed to have been filmed between Oct. 9 and Nov. 5 2010.
In the video, which begins with animated pre-production work, he appears to have dyed his beard black, is wearing a gold shawl over a white vestment and is wearing a white skullcap.
The second video, which runs over a minute long, shows bin Laden watching himself on television and holding the remote control to change the channels between what appear to be Arabic news channels.
The clip begins with a long shot of the screen, showing a list of satellite channels. The camera then pulls out and bin Laden is shown sitting down with a blanket over his shoulders and a wool cap. His beard is grey and white.
ABC News
The government today released five videos... View Full Size
Osama bin Laden's 'Home Videos' Watch Video
Part 2 of Osama bin Laden's 'Home Videos' Watch Video
Part 3 of Osama bin Laden's 'Home Videos' Watch Video
At one point bin Laden asks the cameraman to go back to the TV screen so it can focus on him holding a weapons.
It is unclear when or where this video was made and whether bin Laden was watching a live broadcast or a tape.


View Image

Victor Davis Hanson pulled all the first person references:
“Tonight, I can report . . . And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta . . . I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden . . . I met repeatedly with my national security team . . . I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action. . . . Today, at my direction . . . I’ve made clear . . . Over the years, I’ve repeatedly made clear . . . Tonight, I called President Zardari . . . and my team has also spoken. . .These efforts weigh on me every time I, as Commander-in-Chief . . . Finally, let me say to the families . . . I know that it has, at times, frayed. . . .”
Compare that with the speech given by George W. Bush on December 14, 2003

No comments: